Opening for application: February 1 – March 31, 2017
GENERAL INFORMATION (download Guideline|Register|Curriculum)
About the Royal Golden Jubilee Ph.D. Programme (RGJ)
The Royal Golden Jubilee Ph.D. Programme is a prestigious scholarship scheme funded by the Royal Thai government. The scheme was initiated in 1996 to increase the number of Ph.D. holders and enhance the quality and quantity of research for the sustainable development of the nation. The scholarships fund Ph.D. study for Thai students and provide scholars with an opportunity for short-term placements with higher education institutions overseas.
Starting in 2017, a new scholarship program has been initiated by the Royal Golden Jubilee Ph.D. Programme (RGJ) under The Thailand Research Fund (TRF) to award grants to interested students from ASEAN countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, and Brunei) to pursue their full-time doctoral studies in Thailand, with the opportunity to do research with Thai advisors of academic excellence in various fields. Although RGJ does not provide funding for short-term placements in overseas institutions for ASEAN students accepted to the program, it encourages the students to seek other sources of funding for this purpose.
1. Academic disciplines
This program is opened to wide disciplines, particularly those contributing to the development objectives of the ASEAN countries. Priority fields include:
- Agriculture (e.g. irrigation, crop yields)
- Climate and environment (e.g. climate change, green technology, sustainable development, ecosystem services, resource scarcity)
- Sustainable energy
- Health (e.g. HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, neglected tropical diseases, child mortality, maternal health)
- Water and sanitation
- Food and nutrition (including food security)
- Infrastructure (including civil engineering, information and communication technologies, big data for social and economic development)
- Advanced materials
2. Qualifications and duration of studies
2.1 The interested applicants should have the following qualifications:
- be a citizen from one of the ASEAN countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, and Brunei)
- be under 35 years of age
- hold a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of not less than 3.5 (from a total of 4.0)
- hold a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of not less than 3.0 (from a total of 4.0) AND
- hold a master’s degree in a discipline related to the proposed doctoral study with a GPA of not less than 3.5 (from a total of 4.0) or equivalent from an institution of higher education recognized by TRF, AND
have research publication(s) or oral/poster presentation(s) at a scientific meeting with English abstract(s).
- be fluent in written and verbal English as courses are conducted in English (TOEFL score: at least 90 (IBT) or higher, or IELTS score: at least 6 or higher);
- ave appropriate background to undertake the proposal he/she has outlined
In addition, it is suggested that the students should be prepared for at least three years for a study leave from home country as required for a successful candidate and that they try to maintain in good health, both physically and mentally, throughout the course of study.
2.2 The fellowship will be awarded when a successful applicant has been accepted as a doctoral student in a Thai university’s doctoral program recognized by RGJ-Ph.D. Programme. (Check)
2.3 The fellowship will be awarded when the prospective major thesis advisor of the applicant in a Thai university’s doctoral program is qualified as a Royal Golden Jubilee Ph.D. advisor under the regulation stipulated by TRF.
2.4 Participants are expected to complete their doctoral studies within 3 consecutive academic years. The participants may spend up to 1 year conducting research abroad, provided that they have additional funding. Should any participant wish to prolong his/her research, his/her major thesis advisor in a Thai university’s doctoral program will submit a request to TRF. If approved, the prolonged period of study should not exceed 1 year in Thailand.
2.5 Once the prolongation of the study has been approved, TRF shall allocated 200,000 THB from the reserve fund budget for the prolonged period of the study undertaken in Thailand for no more than 1 year. However, if a student cannot complete his/her doctoral study within 4 years, he/she will still be able to pursue his/her doctoral study within the timeframe set by his/her university in Thailand, but with his/her own support.
3. Application procedures
3.1 The applicants must complete online application form on RGJ webpage (http://rgj.trf.or.th/main/home-th/) and submit three (3) copies of completed application forms to TRF before the closing date for application by 31 March 2017 at 24 hrs. (UTC+7), (The postmark date serves as proof that the application has been dispatched on time.) for registration in the new academic year beginning no later than February 2018.
Please note that:
- The online form allows applicants to enter the required information and save it for a later date until final submission. There are strict character limits for each section which cannot be exceeded.
- Provide an English translation if the original document is not in English
3.2 The application form must be submitted together with a complete proposed research plan and other relevant documents given in the checklist of the form. It is advised that applicants download the application form, complete it and copy it to a CD for submission.
3.3 Information of program and the application form can also be accessed or downloaded at the following websites:
TRF: The Royal Golden Jubilee Ph.D. Programme (RGJ): http://rgj.trf.or.th/main/home-th/
Details of doctoral programs may be obtained from the website of the University of Interest.
4. Allowances and expenses
The RGJ-Ph.D. Programme will grant no exceeding 830,000 THB under the following conditions:
4.1 Student (for not more than 3 years)
- Educational fees and research expenses THB 130,000 per annum
4.2 Advisor (for not more than 3 years)
- Honorarium THB 30,000 per annum
- Final honorarium THB 50,000 after the student’s graduation, his/her doctoral research has been published in an international journal, and all the required documents submitted at the completion of the project have been approved.
- Travel expenses THB 100,000 will be provided if the students have additional budget for overseas research trip.
4.3 Reserve Fund
- THB 200,000 payable according to needs for educational fees and research expenses after the regular 3-year period
It is suggested that each participant bring some pocket money to cover the initial expenses before the allowance is paid.
Participants are required to observe the following regulations:
5.1 Participants must not bring any family members with them to Thailand.
5.2 Participants must observe the rules and regulations of the training institution(s) and the fellowship contract.
5.3 Participants must refrain from engaging in political activities, or any form of employment for profit or gain.
6. Program requirement
6.1 The progress and financial reports must be submitted to RGJ-Ph.D. Program every year after the scholarship is awarded.
6.2 The RGJ-Ph.D. students must have at least 1 publication in an approved academic journal before graduation.
7. Application deadlines and important dates*
Opening for application: February 1 – March 31, 2017
Application deadlines: March 31, 2017
Scholarship announcement: July 3, 2017
Contract signing: July – August, 2017
Note* The above Schedule is subject to changes with or without prior notice. Please visit http://rgj.trf.or.th/main/th/ for more information.